Wednesday

Springfield Mill

HURRAH!

I'm DELIGHTED to finally spill the beans on my new project....

I've been commissioned by Art Consultants FrancisKnight to work on the new Redrow Development Springfield Mill in Maidstone Kent. Springfield Mill was the first steam powered paper making mill in the country and has a WONDERFUL and RICH history which I've been researching over the last few months.

I went to the archives to view samples of paper created in the mill...





And then had a BRILLIANT site visit with local historians and ex-employees who really brought the place to life! The photo below was taken on 'Button Walk' - the women employed at the factory to clean and sort the rags for the paper had to remove all the buckles and buttons and the floor is STILL covered in them - even after all this time!


There are also lots of wonderful features on the site....




I'm excited to work on such a fascinating development and look forward to sharing my progress throughout the commission!

(I'm still working on the 95m of illustrated hoardings for Southwark (65m done - 30 to go!) and getting samples for my public art project for Salisbury so it's all go!)

I hope that you are having an inspiring week too! - back soon x

No comments: