Wednesday

The Times - Love Poetry

Following on from last November's poetry illustrations for The Times (see here) I recently created four new illustrations to celebrate love poetry published last Sat 11th Feb just in time for Valentines day.

It was a dreamy brief again, to select and illustrate 4 classic love poems  I've also included the first draft black and white drawings again as I like how they look against the coloured page.


SONNET 130 William Shakespeare







 LOCHINVAR Sir Walter Scott






VALENTINE Carol Ann Duffy







SCAFFOLDING Seamus Heaney





I'm really pleased with how they've turned out, particularly the Carol Ann Duffy poem Valentine, (which suggests an onion as a new symbol for love) as it was a real struggle to create a romantic and appealing image from an onion!

If you live in/ near London there are so many wonderful exhibitions on the moment! I really recommend the Quentin Blake exhibition at the Foundling Museum, such inspiring drawings especially the ones upstairs created with a bamboo pen. This Saturday I'm off to the Freud show, and Hockney's booked for the 2nd of March and I still need to buy tickets for the new Picasso show at Tate Britain and the Queen of dots Yayoi Kusama at Tate Modern HURRAH! x

No comments: