Monday

Sketchbook peek...













Here's a look at some of my recent sketchbook work, the snake and the ship were drawn at The British Museum (both unfinished but you can see where I'm going with it). The snake is a really beautiful turquoise mosaic from Mexico 15th-16th century AD, and I loved drawing all the individual turquoise shards. The ship (galleon) is from Germany 1585, this gilt-copper and steel automaton was designed to trundle along a grand table to announce a banquet. It's in the clocks gallery, and I think all the ticking drove me slightly bonkers as I ended up drawing the ship on waves of clocks under a clock sun!

I'm currently exploring plant studies, combined with gold and copper leaf and watercolour. The oak leaf ring was drawn at The British Museum, it is a gold wreath that was designed to be worn on the head from about 350-300 BC. Next up I want to create further studies using enamel paints and exploring a punched gesso base.

No time for that at the moment tho, as I'm currently working on a really exciting new commission for Smythson. I'm creating a window display to celebrate the Queens Jubilee and it will be in 5 locations:
New Bond Street,
Sloane Square,
Westbourne Grove, 
Royal Exchange and
New York.
It's such a great brief and I'm really enjoying working on it. 

There is a HUGE amount of work to get done between now and when the work in installed on the 9th May, but I'm really looking forward to sharing it with you very soon. I'll be back next week (if I find the time!!) to share some new work for Holland and Barrett. x

No comments: