Friday

The Big Draw 2013












I had THE BEST time last Saturday running The Big Draw at The Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. The Big Draw is a national event to encourage people of all ages to draw, and I had so much fun devising a drop-in event that would be achievable, fun and challenging for all. I was inspired by the museum's glorious ceramic collection, the colours and patterns of the Iznik, Delft, Chinese, Japanese and English Blue and white china, and so devised a project to explore and celebrate these pieces.

Participants used lots of different shades of blue pencils and crayons to create rubbings from leaves, keys, coins and textured wallpaper. Making rubbings is such a fun and rewarding way into drawing for all ages and abilities, and it's totally non-threatening even for those really phobic of drawing! Big thanks to Bekky and Jude at the Asmolean, particularly for getting such fantastic resources! I loved the giant tub of exotic leaves from the University of Oxford Botanic Garden which included my favourite ginko leaves. Thanks also to the amazing volunteers Lyn, Fiona, Corie, Rhiannon, Amy, Diana, Mark and Helen.

This week I've been drawing Martina Cole's garden for Waitrose, finishing up a giant A2 drawing for a private commission and having lots of exciting portfolio meetings about new projects. Yesterday I went up to London to see Zhang Enli's painted installation at the ICA, the astonishing 2013 Serpentine Pavillion designed by Sou Fujimoto (which finishes on the 20th Oct so get down there quick if you can.) I really enjoyed the new Serpentine Sackler Gallery designed by Zaha Hadid and the exhibition by Argentinian artist Adrián Villar Rojas is so wonderful you HAVE to see it if you can.

I had a fantastic dinner at Caravan (highly recommend), stuck my head into the new Central St Martin's Building next door for a quick nosy around and then went onto The London Canal Museum for Superposition an exhibition and talk by Lyndall Phelps (artist) and Dr Ben Still (Particle Physicist). It was a really inspiring evening where they discussed the results of their recent collaboration, well worth the rather worrying descent (with hard hat!) down into the old ice houses containing the installation!

I'm off to Devon tomorrow to see my family, we're having a joint birthday party for my Nieces and Dad with a pirate theme so I've got my fancy dress ready! Have a lovely weekend and I'll be back next week ready to share new work for Holland & Barrett x

No comments: