Friday

EDFAS 10th Birthday education project








This week has seen the start of a new education commission funded by EDFAS (a local branch of the national arts organisation NADFAS). I have designed a project working with six groups across the area to create large banners for exhibition on Ascot high street next month.

The banners depict delicious big birthday cakes as they have been designed to celebrate EDFAS's 10th birthday. The red banners above were created on Monday by yr 1&2 (aged 5 and 6) students in an after school art club, and the yellow banners were created earlier this evening by a local youth club. Tomorrow I'll be making pink banners with a group of young carers drawn from Windsor and Maidenhead and I'm really looking forward to it.

They are created using tissue paper on plastic sheeting and look beautiful hung in front of a window to allow the light to shine through. They are inspired by Warhol's beautiful cake illustrations (see glorious example below), and the six banners will be created and hung in rainbow order: red, yellow, pink, green, orange and blue.


I'm so excited about seeing them hung together, but until then I'll be working with groups to create them, storing them in the studio and crucially trying to stop the cats from wrecking them! Have a lovely weekend whatever you get up to, on Sunday I'm going to Hampton Court Palace for a days drawing with my lovely friend Charlotte - I'll share some sketches with you next week x

No comments: