Tuesday

Squam 2015

Back home after THE BEST week teaching at Squam Art Workshops in America where I'm feeling very happy and jet-lagged. Too tired to really focus on work and still keen to cling on to my time there, so here's the blogpost all about my adventure...

Squam is a creative retreat set on Squam lake in New Hampshire. We stay in wooden cabins with porches, private docks and huge open fires - here's the view from our dock...




and this was the view from my bedroom...


This is our cabin (called Eldorado)...



Our classrooms are also wooden cabins with giant open fires and magical views over the lake (here's mine!)...



My class was called 'Drawn Together' and was a collaborative workshop exploring colour, mark making and a wide range of materials. Each person was given a concertina A5 sketchbook, and there were 12 colours and 12 participants. The colours and sketchbooks were passed on after each exercise, so by the time each person received their original book back to embellish and complete, each person in the class had contributed to it. Lots of the exercises we did were taken from my book Fearless Drawing and we used a range of techniques including oil pastel monoprinting, collage, watercolour and wax resist. Working in this way allowed the class to become less precious about the final piece and to focus on the process of creating. 

I had THE BEST students and THE BEST time teaching the class, here's some of their sketchbooks at the end of the day...


And here's some of their work in progress...






When not teaching there's so much to do, you can hike, kayak, swim (and my favourites, hang out on the dock eating snacks!)


It's such a peaceful and inspiring place and you get to make so many new friends from all over the world...


Squam is the land of chipmunks, bears, red squirrels and fireflies and this year I was DESPERATE to see a raccoon. Everyone I met warned me that they're not very nice and can be vicious, but in the UK I used to watch a cartoon about them and I REALLY wanted to see a real one. By the last night I still hadn't seen one, but Elizabeth Duvivier (Squam Founder and Director) made my wish come true by giving me this beautiful cushion with 2 raccoons, she really is the nicest person on earth...


So now I'm back home in my studio, tired, happy and so pleased I went to Squam again. I think it might just be my favourite place on earth. Here's my name tag now hung proudly in my studio ready to remind me of new and old friends and a huge amount of creativity and fun.


Back to work properly tomorrow cooking up new projects for The Chelsea Physic Garden, Holland & Barrett and Square Meal Magazine, until then sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz x

7 comments:

mysticvixen said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU! and can't wait to come to YOUR studio in the UK and hang out and be naughty. :)

Kristi Shreenan said...

Kerry, you are an amazing individual and so very huggable too! I loved being in your class and am still in my happy zone from the week at Squam. Guess what?! We saw a raccoon in the woods on the way home to our cabin from the fair!!! We heard him/her first then decided to travel the long way home on the road. I wish you had been there!! But at least you have your sweet pillow. Maybe next year.... You are truly an inspirational teacher and person; I thank my lucky stars that I was able to be exposed to the magic that is YOU! xo

Unknown said...

Yup, you said it. Lovely photos, they capture the spirit of the place.

Thanks for being a great teacher, and an accessible artist - making sure everyone that wants to try gives it their best shot.

Stay awesome. - H

Thea said...

XO Kerry!! Meeting you was one of the highlights of my weekend - And I love getting a birds eye view into your class through the blog. I'll see you soon in the UK!!

Unknown said...

Dear Kerry, I did not have it on my agenda to attend Spring Squam 2015, but then I saw two of my favorite teachers on the schedule, presenting new classes. How could I miss another session of coloring with Kerry Lemon? Totally impossible. I want to buy concertina A5 sketchbooks by the box and find my way to RISD art store to buy the best pens, pencils, color pans, markers and pastel oil crayons in vibrant colors, box them up and hand a set to everyone I know that they will experience the joy and freedom of making marks, their marks. I read your words above and hear it all in your distinctive and vibrant voice so full of energy. Elizabeth has always noted that the art and creativity is the form that transports us to being who we are, being free, and true, being colorful and alive within our own uniqueness. For me, your class provides the ultimate in that experience and I am most appreciative.

Judy

Kerry Lemon said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments everyone, I'm really touched love Kerry x

kathy g said...

Oh Kerry! Not only was your class soooo wonderful and (gently) challenging and I learned so much, but meeting and spending time with you will be one of my favorite memories of all of my Squam experiences! LOVELOVELOVE You!! Kathy